How will Obamacare be paid for? Forty billion dollars will be raised by taxing common medical devices. The proposed taxes will be based on a medical-device producer’s revenue, not profit. This will force the costs to be passed along to consumers.
The Washington Times reported:
When Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus proposed taxing medical devices to raise $40 billion over the next 10 years for his health care plan, opponents started digging in and looking at what would be taxed. It turned out feminine products, like tampons, were classified as class I medical devices and thus, the “tampon tax” was born.
Here is a list of a few of the other items to be taxed.
* Dentures, both partial and full (Class VI)
* Fetal cell-screening kit (Class IV)
* Female condoms, single use (Class III)
* Treponemal syphilis test (Class IV)
* HIV saliva test kit (Class IV)
* Patient data storage and transmission software (Class VI)
* Stair-climbing wheelchair (Class III)
* Inflatable penis prosthetic (Class III)
* Hip, knee, ankle, breast prosthetics (Class III)
* Soft contact lenses, extended wear (Class III)
* IUDs (Class III)
* Dialysis catheters (Class III)
* Dental X-rays (Class II)
* Sickle-cell anemia tests (Class II)
* Mammograms (Class II)
You can download the entire list in pdf format here.