Via Daily Caller:
It looks like the National Science Foundation has been handing out grants for some unorthodox research projects, according to House Republicans.
This includes $700,000 in funding for a climate change musical.
House Science Committee Chairman Lamar Smith questioned White House science czar John Holdren in a Thursday hearing over whether or not the National Science Foundation (NSF) should have to justify its use of taxpayer dollars to fund projects. Smith pointed out some examples of questionable projects the NSF has funded.
- $700,000 on a climate change musical
- $15,000 to study fishing practices around Lake Victoria in Africa
- $340,000 to examine the “ecological consequences” of early human fires in New Zealand
- $200,000 for a three-year study of the Bronze Age around the Mediterranean
- $50,000 to survey archived 17th Century lawsuits in Peru
- $20,00 to look at the causes of stress in Bolivia