Rahim al-Nashiri is the accused mastermind of the USS Cole bombing that killed 17 American sailors. He was one of the three al Qaeda prisoners to be water boarded. He confessed. The charges against him have been dropped because of President Obama's request that legal proceedings against Gitmo detainees be halted pending a review of the process. President Obama has directed that the Guantanamo Bay detention camp be closed within one year. I guess he will release this monster at that time. The families of the USS Cole are very angry. I agree with them. This is an outrage. They have been forced to wait too long for justice.
Judge drops charges in USS Cole bombing case
Fri Feb 6, 2009 6:59am EST
By Jane Sutton and Andrew Gray
MIAMI/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The judge overseeing U.S. war crimes court at Guantanamo on Thursday dismissed the charges against a Saudi prisoner accused of plotting the bombing of the Navy warship USS Cole, the Pentagon said.
The move avoided a showdown between the U.S. military and President Barack Obama. It canceled a hearing that had been set for Monday in the Guantanamo war crimes court, despite the fact Obama had ordered a freeze in proceedings there.
Susan Crawford, the retired judge who oversees the commissions, issued a ruling dismissing without prejudice all charges against Saudi national Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, said Pentagon spokesman Navy Commander J.D. Gordon.(excerpted) read more at reuters.com